Jersey maintain unbeaten record

Wed, Jul 25, 2007 2:42 PM

Jersey made a decisive start to the second phase of the Under 19 Division 2 tournament on Wednesday with a nine-wicket victory over the Isle of Man.

The local boys were superior in all aspects of the game, and never let the Manxmen off the hook after William Golder took two wickets with consecutive balls in the second over to reduce them to 8 for two. Max Stokoe and Danny Kniveton fought back with a 55-run partnership for the third wicket, but Jersey spinners James Perchard and Tom Gibbs bowled economical spells to keep the pressure on.

It was left-armer Perchard who achieved the breakthrough by having Stokoe caught behind for 22, and Gibbs then clean bowled Kniveton for 25 five runs later. 68 for four became 88 for six before Luke Lacey and Kane Dooley again started to rebuild with a seventh-wicket stand of 37.

Opening bowler Mark Chipperfield came back to remove both, and the Manx innings ended in the 47th over with the total on 169.

There was time for a seven-over spell before lunch, and Jersey openers Sam de la Haye and Tom Wherry took the score to 22 without loss by the interval. With rain threatening, they continued to bat positively afterwards, and they extended the stand to 99 in 18 overs before off-spinner Lacey finally removed Wherry for 29.

De la Haye had by that time reached his half-century, and in company with Edward Farley he ensured that Jersey completed the win without losing another wicket. He played very positively against both seam and spin, and his driving on the off side was particularly impressive as he proceeded to 89 not out, made off 79 balls with 9 fours and a six.

Farley also batted well, making 39 not out off 45 balls, with 6 boundaries.

The Isle of Man must now bounce back from this decisive defeat when they face Guernsey tomorrow, knowing that they need a clear win and would then have to rely on Guernsey beating Jersey on Friday. On the evidence of this match, however, the most likely scenario is that Jersey and Guernsey will be playing for the championship in the final match of the tournament.

In the first of the group matches to decide fourth to six places, Gibraltar just pipped Israel in a hard-fought, low-scoring game.

Vivek Sadhwani set Israel on the back foot with two early wickets after they had won the toss and decided to bat, and the rest of the Israeli batsmen then made slow progress against a persistent Gibraltarian attack. Opener Shlomi Korman faced 124 balls for his top score of 31, and by the time he was seventh out in the 36th over the total had advanced to 110.

Robbie Skinner then picked up the final three wickets in just twenty balls to finish with three for 10 as Israel were all out for 113.

Karman stunned Gibraltar in the nine overs before lunch, grabbing three wickets for 5 runs as they slumped to 13 for four. But skipper Kabir Mirpuri was there amongst the wreckage, and after the interval he anchored the innings despite the fact that wickets kept falling at the other end.

He batted doggedly for four hours in all, facing 136 balls in making 58 not out. He and Vishal Kainth had a vital 29-run partnership for the eighth wicket - the highest of the innings so far - of which Kainth's contribution was a solitary single, but when Kainth was run out the total was only 79, with 35 still needed.

Pavan Parwani now gave his captain great support, and together they edged their way towards their target. They got there in the end, with two overs to spare to give Gibraltar a crucial victory in the battle for fourth place.

The match between Italy and Germany was just as tense, with the Germans ultimately prevailing with five balls remaining.

Italy recovered well from a poor start, which saw them on 48 for four and then on 101 for eight. Luis di Giglio made 27 and Abidin ul Zain 25 in the middle part of the innings, but it was Mirko Anzillotti's 31 - together with a plethora of wides - which which enabled the Italians to add 73 for the last two wickets.

Tarun Rawat did best of the German bowlers with three for 25, while Kashif Mahmood took two for 31 and Pankaj Bedi two for 25 - although the latter pair conceded 11 and 18 wides respectively.

Germany's reply was built around a 73-run stand between Rawat (31) and Shafraz Samsudeen (22) for the second wicket, and then Haris Bhatti and Bedi added 40 for the fourth. But the overs were being eaten up, and with three more wickets falling, Dylan Sarnelli returning to finish with two for 30, Germany were now 152 for seven, still 23 runs short.

But Tanzil Tariq and Max Seil gradually knocked off the remaining runs, and the Germans began the final over needing three to win. Two came from the first ball, tying the scores, and then a wide, appropriately enough, gave them the victory.

ICC Europe Members

Follow ICC EUROPE on

ICC Europe on Facebook


Latest News

ICC Regions


ICC Europe
The England and Wales Cricket Board,
Lord's Cricket Ground, St John's Wood
London, NW8 8QZ.
Tel: + 44 (0)20 7432 1200